USA Covid19 Cases vs. Google Trends
Based on user searches, Google Flu tried to estimate flu prevalence among populations. In this simple visualization I try to use a similar, yet simplified approach. Below are compared USA reported covid19 cases against Google Trends popularity for "Coronavirus" and "Worldometer" (which is a website used worldwide to track this pandemic).
- January 2020: quick spread in China
- Mid-February : spread to Europe
- "Coronavirus" popularity peaks on 15th March, when USA cases growth rate is maximal.
- "Worldometer" popularity peaks two weeks later.
- 11th April: USA 7-day moving average peaks.
- 31th May: USA 7-day moving average bottoms to a 2-month low.
- Since June: cases are up to new daily records, but popularity of "Coronavirus" remains low.
Link to the Jupyter notebook.